Friday, April 9, 2010

ups and downs...or vice versa...

Life is good. It is. It really, truly is. Sometimes it's harder than it ought to be to remember that. Or maybe that's just me.

Forgive me for complaining. I promise I shall embrace gratefulness again in just a moment. But first I'm just going to spew out the "not good stuff." Not that I want to focus on it...though sometimes lately I feel like I do far too much. It's more of a "Yes, crappy stuff, you do exist and I know I have to deal with you...but you are only a part of life" sort of spewing.

*I'm just so effing tired of feeling like I'm drowning. My week to get caught up. Ha! I fell further behind than ever. We have not finished our quarter yet, which I hoping to do on Wednesday. I'm now behind on laundry. I'm way behind on returning e-mail (even the fun ones from my dearest friends). There are packages sitting by the door that should already have been mailed (as in, one of them contains birthday gifts that are now going to be late).

*Gray's social anxiety. My poor baby. *sigh* And some not-at-all-easy treatment decisions to be made.

*Baker's ear infection does not appear to be getting better, so another trip to the vet is in order.

*Our car is having minor problems and must go to the garage today.

*Not-so-minor problems in the extended family.

*Had tickets to see Somaly Mam speak, but had to miss it. Not the end of the world, but I was really disappointed.

BUT, ON THE BRIGHT SIDE:

*Annie had a wonderful, relaxing birthday yesterday! Nothing overly exciting...just a total goof-off day. No school. No homework or studying. No chores. She definitely deserved it. And she very much appreciated it. And she got lots of great books that I can borrow. ;)

*This little monkey wanted a hair cut, and wow, did he get a new look. Okay, I admit it--I sort of miss his messy mop of hair. But his new style is growing on me, and I'm sure the fact that he loves it so much is a big part of that.




*Cards in the mail. A cheerful spring card that make me smile every time I see it. (Thank you, Care!) A silly stickmen card that makes me laugh. (Thank you, Jean...you *always* find the most awesome cards!)

*I *finally* did the taxes yesterday!!!

*As if having the taxes done AND getting a refund weren't enough reward...my sweetheart of a husband bought me Will Grayson, Will Grayson as a thank you for doing them. He is just the best. :D And I read the first chapter in the car last evening on our way home...I'm already IN LOVE with this book! (No, I definitely did *not* need to be starting another book, but surely you can't blame me here, can you?)

*Tomorrow Annie and I go on a big thrifting outing!

*The "effing" above...what does that remind you of? Yes, yes, yes...only a month more to wait for Monsters of Men!

*Ummm...just sitting here mentioning awesome books made me pick up the first of the aforementioned awesome books and read another chapter. I couldn't stop myself. I even sort of tried. But couldn't. Which is good. Am now more in love with Will Grayson, Will Grayson than I was fifteen minutes ago.

I know there's more good stuff, but right now laundry awaits me. And ugh...about ten pages of geometry problems. (Shhh...and maybe another chapter or two.)

10 comments:

  1. Your kids are so good looking..love little monkey's haircut...you can really see his adorable face!! We wouldn't be real if we thought that every day was going to be wonderful...so cheer up...it will all happen in time. Are you being too hard on yourself again???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear Annie had a fabulous birthday. I see she is an Aries like me, does she have a temper too! I haven't heard of the book you mentioned, but I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate those times when you can't catch up no matter what. We're kind of doing the same thing over here, and the cats aren't helping since the one keeps peeing all over everything, grr. Have to take him to the vet. That and with the boys off school so much for holidays and spring break, I don't think we're ever going to catch up. :/ So I know how you feel. And I'm glad you're sneaking in chapters of Will Grayson Will Grayson. A friend of mine is going up to Austin tonight to meet John Green & David Levithan on their WGWG tour but *sob* I have to miss it because Jason wont' get off work early enough for me to go with her. :( But I DID order the book and will hopefully get it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could give you a big hug and tell you that things will get better. Decisions involving our kids are never easy. You just need to trust yourselves. You and Rich know your little monkeys better than anyone. As for the extended family issue, I can guess which member it might involve and wish you luck if I'm correct.

    As for taxes, I hope Blaine gets to them this weekend. A refund is doubtful here, but I just want them done with no extension needed.

    On the bright side, it is spring. You have a new book. You have a darling TEENAGED daughter with whom you can go shopping tomorrow. You have a doting husband and, last but not least, a doting dog whose respect and admiration you have probably already won. (I made the all-time top 10 list of Style Invitational entries as chosen by then-czar Gene Weingarten with my item for an underachiever's list of midlife goals: Win the respect and admiration of my dog.)

    Have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry things have been so hard, Debi :( And you should stop apologising for complaining! You never do, you know.

    But horray for Annie having a good birthday and for mother daughter outings and for awesome books :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs, hugs, hugs. Hang in there - you will get through it all to the other side with wisdom and grace like you always do! You are amazing and accomplish more than the average 10 people put together!

    Happy late birthday to Annie. I totally has her birthday down as the 11th...who knows why. I need serious organizational help, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  7. personally, I don't know how you can be anything but overwhelmed at all times with all that you do! I don't even know how you have time to read one chapter of any book!!

    my grandson was 13 on his last birthday..it felt like the beginning of the end to me!.. gosh..but then girls are different.."better!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Ms Annie! And Happy Haircuts Mr. Now-Looks-Like-A-Russian!

    Sorry you've been so overwhelmed lately. Don't feel like you have to keep it to yourself, you're lovable for a reason, so that you'll have plenty of help and love when you need it :). Many hugs from here, and I hope you feel better. How is young Master Greybird? Sorry to hear you're having trouble deciding what to do for him, I know that can be challenging :/.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I echo Ana; you should stop apologising for complaining, Debi! All of us have the rights to vent, you know! :D

    Sounds like you had a wonderful week! Your pics made me smile, and I'm glad to hear Annie had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome! I loved your reviews in today's post and I skipped over WGWG but could FEEL the enthusiasm oozing out of my monitor as I glanced through and decided that I don't want to know anything abt this until I get it myself. Oh, yes - i will be reading it. hopefully soon, - which reminds me that I should go reserve from the library now in case the queue gets disastrously long...
    THANKS Debi for being you and sharing all this on the interwebs. I just think you are one of the coolest out there.

    ReplyDelete