Tuesday, January 12, 2010

book babble...Maxie style


So I gave in and let him have his choice of photo first. ;)

All five of us here in the Stevens household are happy to be participating in the Graphic Novels Challenge this year. Thinking that he would rather be doing about 384 other things besides reading, Max is perhaps the least enthusiastic. Or so he likes to tell us. But actions speak louder than words...Max is ahead of all of us, having completed two comics thus far. (Annie has completed her first, Rich and I are each in the midst of our firsts, and Gray hasn't yet started one.)

Here's here what Max had to say about his first two selections:

The 8th Garfield Treasury by Jim Davis

I liked Garfield the book, because I like Garfield the cat. It was a really, really, really funny book. I liked when Garfield made a snowman and put it in the fridge, and then Garfield, John, and Odie were going to eat it. And it was funny was when the lawn mower was chasing John. Garfield was watching it like it was a movie.
Garfield and John and Odie always fight. Sometimes I fight with my brother, but never with my cat.
This book was from the library, but I wish I owned it. I hope I can find more Garfield comics.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, Part Two
by Akira Himekawa

This is the third Zelda graphic novel I've read, but I have a few more to go. That's good, because I like them. They are exciting, because there are warriors fighting with swords and big humungous monsters. They're trying to defeat the power of darkness. Zelda is a princess.
I like the art in these books. I wish I could draw like that.

And just a few questions:

Mom: Do you like comics?

Max: Yes. They're easier to read than big, long chapter books. But they still tell good stories. And it's fun to look at the art.

Mom: Do you sometimes like to draw your own comics?

Max: Yes, because I like drawing and making up stories.

Mom: How many more graphic novels do you think you'll read this year for the challenge?

Max: Eighty-six.

I hope he makes his goal. :D

*****
January 12th "Good Stuff"

*Waking up to find the most wonderful e-mail from the most wonderful friend! Thank you, again, Chris!

*After all my complaining yesterday about the recent insomnia problems, I ended up having the best night's sleep I've had all year!

*Our internet is decidedly slow, and frankly, just totally flaky today. My initial reaction was frustration, but then I realized it just made for the perfect excuse to stay away for the computer for the most part and get some other things done.

*Grape Nuts. :) When I went to get out the oatmeal to make Max's breakfast this morning, I saw the box of Grape Nuts...I'd totally forgotten that I'd bought them. Mmmmmmm.

*Gray survived his "performance"! Though the assembly was at the very end of the day, and he's now worried about going to school tomorrow, because he's convinced that everyone is going to make fun of him. Poor guy...I'm afraid his worrying skills rival his mother's. 


*New books! Another gift card bit the dust...the books I ordered a few days ago already arrived. :D And there's points to hand out here:
--For The Beekeeper's Apprentice, there are three points to be handed out (it was one of those ganging up deals): one to Eva, one to Pat, and one to Ana.
--For Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, another point to Eva.
--For How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity, point for Amanda.
--For In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz: Living on the Brink of Disaster in Mobutu's Congo, yet another point for Eva.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm getting a point and I haven't even read the book? I'm flattered! You'll have to let me know how the collection is.

    Those pictures are cute. And 86...you know, I can just hear him say that. That sounds just like my kids. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Maxie to keep on reading. I really, really, really like Garfield too!! Such cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,
    Yep. Read it or not, you introduced me to it. And wow, it sounds so good, doesn't it?!!
    I know, is "86" not just such a kid thing to say? :D

    Stephanie,
    'Cause he's really, really, really funny? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice to Max embracing his reading side. I might need to get some graphic books for the girls to read as they are not big readers either.

    I am glad Gray's performance went OK.

    I love your new books. I have just ordered four from Amazon which I can't wait to get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me so happy that the whole Stevens family is doing the challenge :D Go Max!

    And I'm so glad to hear Gray made it through the performance okay! On the bright side, when he goes to school he'll see that nobody will make fun of him and that his fears were unfounded :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when people get into trouble for the books that you buy. Max is something else!! My son Marc went through a HUGE Garfield phase. He must have 4 of those treasury books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow I got a point! hehe..

    oh i love garfield ..even had a cat named garfield once and the second cat was named Pookey after his teddy bear!

    has Max ever seen the cartoon where Jon see's garfield asleep in a sunbeam from the window... Jon leans over to wake garfield and the next cartoon shows garfield AND Jon asleep in the sunbeam! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I *LOVE* GRAPE NUTS! It's like we're long lost siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After hearing about graphics novels from you a while back I've read one but I bought a set for Tim for Christmas. He still wants to read the Lizzie Border one I bought. I think I'll let him.

    Yay for the good night's sleep. I almost wish it was bedtime now. I am tired.

    Good for Gray for getting through the performance. :)

    take care,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well this whole post is just one big happy thing for me :D I love Max's review! Go Max!! I hope he reaches his goal of 86 books :p

    And yay for Gray for making it through his performance :D I knew he would!! And like Ana said, he'll go to school and see that no one will make fun of him. Poor little guy :(

    Debi, I'm so glad that you got a good nights sleep!!!!! I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I hope it continues for you and it's the start of a new pattern. And hooray for Grape Nuts and new books :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always so happy to see a reluctant reader interested in reading!

    ReplyDelete